"Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world."
-Marilyn Monroe

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Foundation Faux Pas And How To Avoid Them.

When picking a foundation that's right for you, it may be more complicated than you think. Let's talk about what to do when picking a foundation to make sure it's right for you!

We all know the struggle of buying a new foundation and being ever so disappointing when the shade turns too dark or too light for your skin. Shade matching is one of the more problematic issues anybody has to deal with when going to purchase a foundation. The first thing we need to do is recognize what kinds of tone our skin takes. Generally there are three tones, warm, cool and neutral. We can test our skin tone by looking at our wrists, or the arches of our feet. Notice the color of the veins that appear underneath your skin, if the veins are blue, you have cool tones, like me. If the veins are green, you have warm tones, and if the veins are green/blue with some purple veins, you have neutral tones.
Now it's time to determine what your skin type is. Again, there are three different kinds of skin type, dry, oily, and combination skin. It doesn't take a rocket-scientist to figure this out, I'm pretty sure you already know your skin type, and if not, take a look at your skin in the mirror right now. If it's not oily, a little flaky maybe and quite dry, you have dry skin. If your face is a bit more slick, and more shiny, you have oily skin, and if you're dry in some areas and oily in others, you have combination skin.
Let's talk coverage. There are all different kinds of coverages when we purchase foundation, ranging from light to full coverage. Coverage is a matter of preference usually although for combination and oily skin types I would recommend looking for a full coverage foundation, it's all about fighting your oils to preserve the makeup and fight excess shine. Full coverage foundations are also great for those who find they have a lot of break outs that they'd like to cover. Dry skin can work with some full coverage foundations, but not all. I would recommend (if your skin doesn't have too many breakouts that you're uncomfortable showing) a good medium coverage or a light coverage. The only bugaboo is that light coverage foundations tend to not have as much stamina as a hearty full coverage mixture. So make sure you invest in a good powder and setting spray, I recommend Model in a Bottle, you can find it on Amazon, or anywhere online that suits your fancy.

When it comes to choosing a shade that's perfect for you, I know I have a huge problem. Not only am I super fair, but foundation oxidizes on my skin. What oxidization does is, the longer the foundation is on your skin and the warmer it gets, the more the shade will change. Unfortunately there's nothing that can really help my situation, it's all about trial and error, and after many products come and gone for one reason or another, I've finally found my holy grail foundation, Makeup Forever's Mat Velvet in the shade Alabaster. It's perfect for my skin, and it doesn't hardly change shade at all throughout the day. It's stamina is amazing and it works well with my dry skin. I do however have a problem with cakiness, but I'm still experimenting on ways to apply it to my skin, and I'm sure i'll be able to fix that problem eventually. I'll be posting a review on it separately at some point, a long with a video demonstration!
You can also expect a haul in the upcoming weeks.
One thing I would like to mention before I go is, I'm completely revamping my hairstyle! So I'll be asking you guys what you think of it when I post that video, I'm also changing up my wardrobe a little bit, and this blog will most likely be getting one hell of a makeover as well. Can't wait to see what you guys think!

Ta-Ta for now, babes.

No comments:

Post a Comment