"Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world."
-Marilyn Monroe

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Surrealism?

So today what I want to do is talk about one of my more popular art pieces, and the technique/supplies I used to create it. 
So for this what I did was draw the basic outline, I added no detail save for the basic shapes of the eye, beak and tail. The current kind of watercolors I use come in an almost acrylic like form before you add the water, so what I did was add the smallest amount of water possible, to where the texture of the paint was still pasty, took a small round brush and stippled on the first layer of light green onto the body, excluding the wings, tail, and underbelly, which I took a different brush, using the same stippling technique, and put a layer of very light pink all over the area.
For the side of the bird, I left the area nearest to the belly the light green, and layered the darker greens on top of it until it was the depth I wanted. The head I took liberty with and added a splash of blue and red, using the stipple technique, because I wanted to keep the texture consistent. Then, (again keeping the paint more 'pasty') I filled in the eye with black, adding a small dot or two of while for reflection.
As for the belly, I left the pink, took a white and began to highlight the breast area. Moving downward onto the tail I filled it in with darker pink, this time bringing the paint to a more watery consistency. Eventually we see the dark edge of the tail, to the right, where I took a purple, and just a hint of blue and blended them for shading.
And as for the wings, I added a lot of water to a cream color, and used randomized strokes downward, pulling it in many directions, and letting it drip a little. Then I took a darker, more concentrated pink and stippled it, following the directions of the cream I pulled. 

As for the flower I forget what the hell I did exactly.
For the finishing touch, I took some of my brightest colors and splattered them, adding to the surrealism aspect I really wanted for this piece.

I used mostly smaller round brushes to create the bird, as for brand and size number I don't quite remember, but my philosophy has always been that, it's not the tools you use, but the artist behind them.
One thing that I find helpful for myself however, is mood music. while creating this painting, I listened to really relaxed songs, like Brian Crain's Song For Sienna, and Cannon in D. I suggest using mood music but it may not work for everyone. It's simply my preference.
If you enjoy these more regular art related posts, let me know! I'd love to keep doing this.

Find my Instagram here http://instagram.com/color_coma where I post a lot of my other pieces, if you're interested!
         God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment