"Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world."
-Marilyn Monroe

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

You is Kind, You is Beautiful..

Something about reinventing yourself is intriguing, to say the least. We like to think of ourselves as a finished product, but in truth we are a constantly evolving project, always in motion. It's always important to love yourself, but at times even those most comfortable with themselves find it difficult. Whether it be body image, gender-identification issues, or so on and so forth, the struggle is something we can all empathize with. I, like so many of us, know what it's like to look in the mirror and hate what I see. But I took it upon myself to change that, so I changed myself. I changed, and grew until I could love what I saw. Confidence isn't easy, there are days when I just can't bring myself to smile at my reflection, but an off day isn't a defeat. My past experiences with depression taught me the difference between a temporary stumble, and a defeat. My philosophy is that if you're breathing, you're doing just fine. You can get back up and try again.  No matter what you're struggling with, be it addiction, depression, anxiety, etc.  I know you'll be just fine.

Here I am, 6 years later, 45 pounds lighter physically and emotionally, with all the confidence and makeup I could ask for. Let me tell you a story.
6 years ago, in 2008, I began to have the symptoms of depression. You all know the story, I had just lost a loved one, my mom and dad were getting ill all the time, my sister and I were alone a lot, blah blah blah, here's a tissue. At the time my mom kept talking to me about the whole 'coming of age' thing, which since I was little(er) I never really understood.. I felt as if femininity was being forced upon me, I had absolutely no interest in whatever my mother had to say. As time went on, I became more and more resistant to my mother's way of thinking about 'becoming a lady.' I was annoyed, extremely sad, and overweight; I hated myself. It got to the point where I'd refuse to see pictures of myself, no matter what the occasion. As I got slowly older, I began experimenting with makeup and styles of dress, I listened to my mom's counsel, I found closure and a passion for makeup art. I found myself coming out of my depression day by day, creating a new self, brick by tiny brick.
Point being, if I can do it, so can you. I know not everybody will be able to empathize with my story, but what I'm saying is as simple as this: Try.
I don't believe in the word "can't" there is only "won't". You can, no matter what you're facing, if you believe you can, you will.


As always,
     
God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment